All Events by Category
- This event has passed.
Curious About Public Health Dental Hygiene?
May 25, 2016 @ 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Wednesday, May 25, 2016
Vermont Technical College , Room 401 B
6:00 p.m. – 900 p.m.
This course will provide the participant with information on how to practice dental hygiene in non-traditional settings. You will learn from her experience of providing preventive dental care to students in Maine schools for over 15 years.
Topics will include:
- Developing a Business Plan
- Target group to provide services, developing relationships.
- Portable Equipment
- Infection Control and Sterilization in non traditional settings.
- Materials and overhead expenses to consider.
- Sealants; To seal or not to seal?
- Health History, Summary of Treatment for parents.
- Documentation, Charting and reporting neglect/abuse.
- Case Managing (what feels like Co-Parenting at times)
Presented by: Cindy Leavitt, RDH
Ms. Leavitt graduated from Westbrook College (now known as the University of New England) in 1994. She worked full time in private practice until 2001. In 2000 Maine passed a law allowing dental hygienists the ability to provide preventive services in non-traditional settings to underserved populations and bill MaineCare for services rendered. Because of this change in Maine Law, Cindy saw an opportunity to expand her ability to help those who needed it the most and make a living doing it. In 2001 along with her good friend Dolly Maroon, Tooth Fairies Inc. was created. With portable equipment, determination and the support of each other, Dolly and Cindy would help thousands of children receive preventive dental services. Identifying needs and connecting resources for families to access emergent and restorative care.
- May 25, 2016
- 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm