All Events by Category
- This event has passed.
Zika Virus and Infectious Disease Reporting
May 12, 2017 @ 8:30 am - 11:30 am$45.00 – $80.00
Friday, May 12, 2017
Rutland Regional Medical Center CR A & B Rutland, VT
8:30 am – 11:30 am
Since the beginning of the current Zika virus epidemic in 2015, the number of cases in the U.S. is increasing and the potential for spread of this mosquito-borne disease is greatest during the summer months. Health care professionals need to be familiar with the signs, symptoms and complications of the infection, its transmission, and ways of disease prevention. As a nationally notifiable infectious disease, health care providers have to report Zika virus infections and other infectious diseases to state/local departments of health. To provide the public with the most accurate and timely information, the CDC next collects and analyzes it from a network of state and local health departments, according to each state laws and regulations. Fast and accurate reporting by sharing disease data is essential in cases of infectious diseases that can quickly grow to become epidemics and pandemics.
Participants will learn:
- History of the Zika virus and the current epidemic;
- Signs, symptoms and complications of Zika virus disease;
- Modes of transmission of Zika virus infection and prevention of disease in the dental settings;
- The process and timelines of infectious disease reporting at the state/local and national levels;
- Various types of notifications depending on the urgency of reporting;
- Reasons for under-reporting and non-reporting of the notifiable infectious diseases;
- Role of the dental health care providers in recognizing and reporting of the notifiable infectious diseases.
Presented by: Anna Matthews, RDH, MS
Anna Matthews is an Assistant Professor in the Dental Hygiene program at the New York City College of Technology, of the City University of New York. She is a foreign-trained dentist (Belarus) who earned her graduate degree in Neuroscience in the U.S. She teaches Oral Anatomy, Pharmacology, and clinical dental hygiene. Her research interests are current issues in dental hygiene, student diversity in health professions, and educational innovations/technology in the classroom. She presented at regional, national and international conferences and published in peer-reviewed professional journals.REGISTER
- May 12, 2017
8:30 am - 11:30 am
- $45.00 – $80.00