Thursday, May 18, 2023
ZOOM: 7:00 PM -9:00 PM
- Members: $60
- Non Members:$80
Dental professionals must frequently draw upon their knowledge of pharmacology for optimal care of today’s medically complex dental patients. However, pharmacology often represents only a small portion of most dental degree programs. Armed with a relatively brief exposure to this vast subject, many dental professionals simply cannot keep up with the latest trends in disease state management.
This comprehensive program explores the dental implications of the prescription medications, non-prescription medications, herbal products, nutritional supplements and substances of abuse most frequently used by patients. Participants receive this essential information in a format which is not only practical and applicable but also highly entertaining for the entire dental team.
- Identify the prescription medications most frequently encountered on a patient’s medical history and discuss their indications for use, adverse reactions and impact on dental therapy.
- Discuss the non-prescription medications most often used by dental patients and explain their impact on dental therapy, including situations which preclude their use.
- Explore the most popular herbal products and nutritional supplements and discuss their purported uses and dental considerations.
- Know the most common substances of abuse and describe their oral manifestations and dental treatment considerations.
- Discover techniques for identifying and managing self-medicating and substance-abusing patients.
Thomas A. Viola, R.Ph., C.C.P Bio
With over 30 years’ experience as a board-certified pharmacist, clinical educator, professional speaker and published author, Tom Viola, R.Ph., C.C.P. has earned his national and international
reputation as the go-to specialist for making pharmacology practical and useful for all members of the dental team.
As the founder of Pharmacology Declassified, Tom provides valuable insight on the complex interplay between pharmacology and physiology so that clinicians may be knowledgeable about not only the dental considerations of medications used to treat systemic illness but also the systemic considerations of medications used to provide dental treatment. As an educator, Tom is a member of the faculty of over 10 dental professional degree programs and has received several awards for outstanding teacher of the year.
As an author, Tom is well known for his contributions to several professional journals, has served as a contributor, chapter author and peer reviewer for several pharmacology textbooks and currently serves as a consultant to the American Dental Association’s Council on Scientific Affairs.
As a speaker, Tom has presented over 1000 informative, humorous and engaging continuing education seminars and webinars to dental professionals internationally since 2001. Meeting planners and attendees agree that Tom is their choice to educate within this dental specialty.