Tuesday, April 18, 2023
Zoom: 7:00pm to 9:00pm
Speaker: Hirving Hernandez, D.M.D.
- Members: $0
- Non Members:$10
The main goal of the presentation is to provide dental professionals in Vermont with a better understanding of the unique needs and concerns of LGBTQIA+ patients and to equip them with the knowledge and skills necessary to provide culturally competent care.
Here are the five objectives for the presentation:
- Define LGBTQIA+ terminology and explain why it’s important for dental professionals to be familiar with these term
- Discuss the health disparities faced by LGBTQIA+ individuals and how these disparities impact their oral health.
- Identify common barriers to care for LGBTQIA+ patients and discuss strategies for addressing these barriers, such as resources or organizations that dental professionals can refer patients to.
- Review best practices for communicating with LGBTQIA+ patients, including how to use inclusive language and how to create a welcoming and affirming environment
- Provide tips for adapting clinical protocols to meet the needs of LGBTQIA+ patients, including tips for managing anxiety and avoiding assumptions about gender and sexual orientation.
Hirving Hernandez, D.M.D. Bio:
- Born and raised in New York City.
- Graduated DDS in 2013, Dominican Republic
- Post-Doctoral Residency in 2021, Temple University School of Dentistry
- Dental Public Health Specialist
- Practice dentistry in Non-Profit Community Clinic “Windham County Dental Center”
- Adjunct Assistant Clinical professor University of New England College of Dental Medicine
- Member of the Vermont State Dental Society
- Masters in Public Health
- Masters in Science Education
- Certified Health Education Specialist